Institutional Strengthening of Gram Panchayats Project (ISGPP) is a World Bank funded initiative under Panchayats & Rural Development Deptt. Govt. of West Bengal. The goal of the project is to develop institutionally strengthened Gram Panchayats (GPs) for improved local service delivery through the following four components:
1. Grants to Gram Panchayats.
2. Capacity building for Gram Panchayats elected representatives and employees.
3. State oversight and monitoring of Panchayati Raj Institutions.
4. Program Management and Implementation through Project communication, Citizens Communication and program support.
The main objectives of the project are –
1. To provide GPs with predictable untied fund to allow integrated planning, strengthening fiscal framework and reliable delivery on their functional mandates in line with contextual needs.
2. Introduction of a rational and performance based allocation system.
3. To provide support for a system development and assisting state government to streamline systems towards enhancing inherent capacity.
4. To achieve timeliness of External Audit and streamlining procedures for timely audit certification of GPs.
5. To strengthen the internal monitoring mechanism of Panchayat and Rural Development Department.
6. To establish clear communication channels with GPs along with direct community communication channels to support citizens oversight.
7. To contribute towards the implementation of 73rd Constitutional Amendment related to decentralization and strengthening rural local governance.
Since the project inception in 2010, World Bank has appreciated the operational performance of ISGP project and recognized it as a key driver towards relentless advancement of Gram Panchayats in West Bengal. The World Bank has rated the project performance as “Satisfactory” in all its review missions.
In a nutshell, this project is all about developing an enabling environment for all round development with socially acceptable and environment friendly framework.